Identify and give brief comments on measures that could improve the food storage systems at “The Chisholm”.
The Chisholm hotel and conference centre has recently undergone a major refurbishment and now the Chisholm hotel and conference centre can accommodate 1500 delegates.
The Chisholm hotel and conference centre has a great potential to increase their business as they have a large kitchen and storeroom facility. The environmental and safety officer recently visited the hotel and recommended improvements in the kitchen and storage facilities regarding to food hygiene standards and suggested that a lot of current practices needs to be improved and followed in accordance to the correct compliance with food hygiene legislation and the safe storage practice of food.
If you need assistance with writing your essay, our professional essay writing service is here to help!Essay Writing Service
After looking at the entire scenario it can be said that the Chisholm hotel and conference centre is struggling to maintain the proper food hygiene standards as well as after the refurbishment a large quantity of the food items are produced and to maintain its quality at the same time and such kind of problems are coming in between the proper and smooth functioning of the food production department in the Chisholm hotel and conference centre.
A safe to eat food is priority of the Chisholm hotel and conference centre. As a sous chef, for the smooth and proper functioning of the food production department the improvement is needed in the following key areas: –
Food storage facility
# Dry storage area
# Walk in chill room
# Chest freezer and conventional fridges
# Addition of new storing equipments and installations
# Introduction of blast chilling machine
Ordering, receiving, storing, issuing of food
# Following company policies
# Checking/ cross checking
# Food temperature monitoring
# Loss and wastage
# Implementation of hazard analysis critical control point
# System of (FIFO) first in first out
# Efficient pest control
RECEIVING AND STORING FLOW CHART SHOWING
Training of staff
# Training explains good food and hygiene standards and good practices
# Introduction of store keeping system
# Filling proper documentation
Refurbishment takes s a lot of pain and planning and later following the proper execution of the policies. In order to cater 1500 delegates at the same time the kitchen must be well equipped and an efficient storage control system can help in smooth functioning in the storage system of kitchen.
With the help of simple procedures and documentation we can strive to achieve our company objectives: –
Dry storage facility
- A good practice is to keep the temperature of the dry storage is between 10 °c to 21 °c. An unorganized way of keeping the food items can lead to spoilage and growth of bacteria or contamination of food items.
- All the food items that like grains or bottled, canned food items that have less water content in it and can be stored in a good dry ventilation and maintained temperature which helps in maintain good shelf life.
- A good storage and ordering of products can avoid the over ordering /stocking of food items.
- It helps in food rotation as well thus food storage and ordering needs to be improved.
- The key element to consider in the production department is the proper implementation of (H.A.C.C.P) hazard analysis critical control point, daily check of invoices of food orders and significant food items.
- Properly following the process of food rotation I.e. FIFO (first in first out). It helps in systematic usage of the food items.
- For good food and hygiene safety practices it is recommended to avoid contamination of food items. In order to achieve it the allocation of the dry store should be near to the receiving area. It avoids unnecessary handling and reduces transportation time.
Walk in chill room and conventional fridges
Currently in the Chisholm hotel and conference centre we have only one walk in chill room installed and a large chest freezer.
After refurbishment there is an urgent to increase our cold storage equipment and installation. We can improve our storage system by installing
- Extra walk in chill room
- Adding a blast chilling installation/ blast chiller
- Adding more conventional fridges
The above-mentioned installations will help to store perishable items meat and they’re by products, fish and seafood products separately to avoid any contamination and cross contamination.
- Cooked meat products can be kept on the upper shelves of the walk in chill room and raw meat can be kept at the bottom shelf.
- A separate walk in chiller can be used to stockfish and seafood.
- As an increase in food production it’ll be easy to do proper storage thus leading in maintain good quality of finished food product.
- This storage system will be helpful in food rotation in daily food production it also helps in to cater big function in the Chisholm hotel and conference centre.
- It is a good practice to have mobile trolleys of conventional freezer for big catering function.
Introduction of blast chilling machine
It will help to reduce bacterial growth in food items by rapid cooling down the temperature below the danger zone. It is very useful for cooking in large quantity of meat joints, soup. Sauces etc.
Ordering, receiving, storing, issuing of food
Commodities used in catering are different to commodities used in most other industries because most are perishable. Consequently, the handling and storage of commodities should be strictly controlled and monitored.
- Ordering through the supplier recognized from the government and holds all the legal documentation regarding food safety
- Installation of new ordering system such as online computerized system
- Daily ordering or alternative day ordering
- Follow efficiently the budgeting setting up quantity, specification and period for ordering such and such item. After refurbishment for running smooth function of the Chisholm hotel and conference centre the ordering needs to be done alternate days in order to avoid overstocking and if anything urgent is needed specific to a function it can be done a day or few days in advance.
- Documentation at each step it helps to track down any kind of communication breakdown and thus, provide a flexibility in ordering system
- Receiving of all the goods and food a products are done by storekeeper all the goods are to be checked keeping company policies and food safety legislation and acts in mind.
- Minimum food handling should be done in order to avoid, spoilage, wastage and cross contamination
- Storekeeper needs to maintain proper food handling and hygiene standards
- All food orders needs to be cross checked with the ordering list
- A storekeeper should place food in an appropriate system like food rotation (FIFO).
- Time check and monitor of temperature regularly
- Cleaning hygiene should be carried out with keeping in mind the stacking of food items, proper ventilation, pest control, spillage and spoilage if any maintenance problem occurs it should be well documented and informed as well.
- Keep in track of all the different items issued and food item needs to be ordered urgently
- The storekeeper checks the requisition for each dept before issuing the food.
- The storekeeper keep check to the quality quantity and follow an effective temperature control in the storage area and issue items only through proper food rotation
- Proper stacking of food item labels and day tagging for the item are mandatory
RECEIVING AND STORING FLOW CHART SHOWING
Training for store keeper /staff
In the Chisholm hotel and conference centre there is an urgent need of training to be provided to the assistant storekeeper and other members of staff.
- Training needs to be done by professional food handler
- A handbook should be provided to the food handlers and food storekeeper stating their duties and guidelines.
- A storekeeper and other food handlers should be enrolled in government approved food hygiene and safety procedures program.
- All staff should be trained how to operate the equipments used in kitchen and storing areas.
- Storekeepers and other kitchen staff should be trained in filling all the new documents that are introduced by the Chisholm hotel and conference centre to achieve effective compliance with food and hygiene legislation. For example:-
# Proper labeling of food items
# Time and temperature control sheets
# Store requisition forms
# Food wastage sheet
# Day tags
# Meat tags
# Bin card
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
Related ServicesView all
DMCA / Removal Request
If you are the original writer of this essay and no longer wish to have your work published on UKEssays.com then please: